Monday, May 10, 2010

Momma's Day

For many years now, Mother's Day has really been a wash. It usually ends up being our busiest work week of the year, so by the time Sunday rolls around, I'm more of a zombie than a maternal figure. Yesterday was no different, but despite the overwhelming exhaustion plaguing me, my boys really reminded me of how lucky I am to have them in my life.



I didn't get to sleep in because I had to finish preparing the Relief Society lesson I was scheduled to teach at church that afternoon. When I got out of the shower, the boys were up and bouncing around, ready to present me with the gifts they had prepared for me.

I was first given a large copy-paper box which contained a bag (surprisingly unopened!) of my favorite chips (Tostitos Hint-of-Lime...and Jonah apparently bought them with his own money), and three boxes of Puffs with Lotion tissue (my allergies have been terrible this year). The boys then ran to the freezer and pulled out a half dozen ice cream-cupcakes from Coldstone. (...when I got home from my last delivery the night before Jonah exclaimed, "Do NOT look in the freezer. We bought you something for Mother's Day and its in the freezer so stay OUT!")

Then came the real gift.

Months ago Jonah told me he had made me a Mother's Day gift and he was so-so-so-so-so-so-so excited to give it to me. All this time he has been hiding it in various areas of his room, at the same time asking if I wanted it early because it was driving him CRAZY. So I knew this was a pretty big deal.

And it was.



Out came a little box which contained the following:
  • A hand-drawn picture of the D Street house
  • 9 pennies
  • a dollar bill
  • a seashell
  • a button (in case one of mine gets lost)
  • an old, dried Billy Ball flower pulled out of the cooler at some point or another (his favorite)
  • a tube of used chapstick with a cut-out heart taped onto it
  • a pretty awesome clay bowl/pot/thingy he made at school
Its obvious a lot of six-year-old thought was put into his selections. He was positively bursting with pride as I praised his gift choices. Not wanting to be left out, Sam emerged from his room with his Diego recorder and a toy car for me to have. And I got a million hugs and kisses to boot.

Those little guys are by far the coolest thing I've ever done.





I do hope all the women in my life had a lovely day. Its true that there are so many amazing women who have impacted both me and my boys: related, not related, friends, church members, women who have never had children themselves, and women who have had so many they should write a book about it. I know I wouldn't be the mother I am without their influence, and I know my children would not be as blessed as they are without their love.

But, I'm especially fond of this one.


Happy Mother's Day!

2 comments:

  1. You are so blessed! Thanks for sharing this great story! Love 'ya, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is what it is ALL ABOUT, huh?! Every sacrifice, every tear, every worry -- look at those boys you have been blessed with and none of the struggle seems to matter.
    Happy Mother's Day to you, Liz. Hope you can get some time this week to be pampered -- or at least go to the bathroom in peace. :) Love ya.

    ReplyDelete